When the calculated fields and measures are created, there is a possibility the user will need to follow an iterative process: first, create the new fields and measures, then view the results and finally adjust as needed. The Designer provides the user with some practices that may prove useful:
- Reduce the size of the data set. Select the Sample Data form drop-down menu in the Report Designer toolbar. Create one or more filters. This is especially useful for tables which display all data by default. Finally, limit the number of field and measures to add your test reports to restrict the number of summary levels to one or two.
- Create one or more formulas
- After creating the fields and measures add them to a table and crosstab in your report designer and verify that they behave as you want.
- When creating a calculated field remember that it appears at the bottom of the list.
- Calculated fields that use aggregate functions cannot be added to groups and should not be used as filters.
- The Report Designer supports by default only two decimal places.
- You cannot delete a calculated field that it is in use (you can see the fields being used have their names in italics).