In order to view a chart, the user must add at least one measure. Before adding the measures in the chart, the Report Designer shall display a placeholder with the legend showing a single entry: “Add a measure to continue”. Add the measures and the Designer shall display the total of each measure in the chart. Initially, the Report Designer will only display only the measures that have been added regardless of the number of fields you have added. This way it will be possible to add, remove and arrange as many measures and fields you want to the chart bar without worrying about waiting for the chart to update. When all the actions are finished, the user can select the level of detail he wants the chart to have by sliding the bar on the right side of the chart (rows and/or columns).
Find all the available standard fields and measures in the Data Selection Panel:
- Standard Fields: they can be added as columns or rows.
- Measures: they contain summarized values. They are typically numeric fields that determine:
- Level of bars
- Size of pie charts
- Location of points in line charts
- Height of areas
The measures can be added in both columns and rows but must be in the same target meaning that one can add one or more measures to the chart as columns or add one or more measures to the chart as rows but it is not possible to have one or more measure as a column and another as a row in the same chart.
Adding a field or measure to a row or a column
- Go to the Data Selection Panel and select the field you wish to add to the chart as a group. Use the Ctrl + Click method to select more than one items.
- Select the item to display to the chart and drag it into the Columns or Rows box in the Layout Band.